Deadline for submissions is July 15th every year. Artists and curators can submit proposals by mail or by email: email@example.com (Max. attachment size 25MB, you may send multiple emails if necessary, you should use zip files, WeTransfer, Dropbox but please ensure to send us a note that you are doing so).
We will confirm receipt of email submissions within a week, please send us a follow-up email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not hear from us.
Here are our three top ‘tips’ for sending in submissions:
- Please send a complete submission (including proposal, artist statement, CV, images or video, and image descriptions), it is more difficult to review your work without all the necessary contextual information.
- If you are planning to email us over 25MB of attachments please let us know, and/or use a file transfer service. You can either send us multiple emails (with zip files) or if its a LOT more data contact email@example.com to make arrangements.
- If you have any questions…ask! firstname.lastname@example.org
About the submissions process
grunt gallery’s programming includes visual and media art exhibitions, installations, screenings, performances and projects, which are often accompanied by print or web publications. We produce gallery-based exhibitions, as well as a number of real-time events and web projects. A curatorial committee of 5-9 people consisting of curators, programming staff, board members and artists meets for 5 days every August to review artist submissions.
Exhibitions typically run for 5 weeks, with opening receptions held on Thursday or Friday nights. grunt hosts a cash bar at each opening. Performances, screenings and talks are also coordinated independently or in conjunction with the exhibitions. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, all events are held virtually until it is safe to once again gather in person.
Visual art: 10 – 20 images at 72 dpi (digital images can be transferred via WeTransfer, Dropbox, slideshow, or if need-be USB Stick, CD or DVD), clearly identified, numbered and including a name, title, dimensions and a numbered image list. Please indicate if your submission includes works you do not plan to show with your proposed exhibition. Example of title for digital images – 01. Artist Name, Title of work, size of work, jpeg (*or other file formats)
Performance art: a short video that typifies and helps to explain your work. Please submit a video file (.m4v, .avi, .mov, etc) or links to online video, not a DVD.
All submissions must include:
- A detailed proposal for the exhibition, describing what you wish to do and any special requirements.
- C.V. including a list of any past exhibitions.
- Artist Statement.
- Your name, address, email, and any other contact information.
- *if a mailed application only, a self-addressed, stamped envelope to return your submission. Please allow 4 months for consideration. The gallery retains accepted submissions until the exhibition.
view the grunt gallery floor plan here.
A downloadable PDF of our submission guidelines is here.
Fees and Financial Information:
Fees are paid to the artist at the exhibition opening. Artist fees include copyright for the grunt website.
- $2,500 – solo gallery exhibition
- $1,250 each – two-person exhibition
- $350 to $650 each – group exhibition (depending on the number of pieces and participants)
We are able to provide up to $4500 for exhibition expenses that may include: installation costs, painting the gallery (apart from standard white), travel, artist accommodation, one-way shipping, poster or invitation printing, performance fees for an opening night performance, publishing of an artist’s or curator’s statement or artist’s interview, etc.
grunt gallery does not pay for the fabrication of artworks, framing, or material costs. If your project requires further resources than outlined here, detail all expenses in your proposal.
In some instances, we may be able to augment our programming budget through project grants for certain exhibitions. Artists may also be eligible for travel grants through federal and provincial funders. These free up money in our budget for exhibition brochures, small publications, or additional project costs.
- $250 – cabaret performance
- $800 – repertory or repeat performance
- $1,500 – original or one-off performance
We may be able to negotiate higher fees if time and expense warrant them. We can provide one technician to assist the artists during a performance.
- $250 per talk for individual artist talks (in cases where funding is available we may be able to negotiate higher fees)
- 75 cents per word (higher fees tied to project funding are sometimes available)
The gallery documents all exhibitions for our archives digitally. Artists will receive digital copies of these images. Documentation may include installation shots but may not include shots of individual pieces. Artists are free to document individual elements of the exhibition themselves. Performance documentation usually consists of digital photographs and/or video.
grunt gallery carries insurance up to a maximum of $50,000 per exhibition and is subject to a maximum limit of $7,500 per piece. Transportation insurance to and from the gallery is the artist’s responsibility unless otherwise arranged. Artists must provide a list of insurance values a minimum of two weeks before the exhibition.
Publicity is the responsibility of grunt gallery, and typically includes local event listings, brochures, press releases and information on the grunt website. We will also promote the exhibition through our social media channels on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. grunt is not responsible for approaching reviewers but will assist whenever possible. Interview requests with journalists will be arranged by the Communications Manager.
For submissions to the Mount Pleasant Community Art Screen:
We accept a wide variety of media works and formats to a maximum of 10 minutes, including video, film, animation, gif and photography, for our urban art screen located on the Independent Building at Kingsway and Broadway in Vancouver.
All MPCAS submission details and forms are here.