Position Title: Exhibitions Manager
Location: grunt gallery
Reporting to: Programming Director
Hours: 40 hours per month (weekly schedule dependent on current projects); some evening and weekend work; flexible schedule
Start date: April 2, 2013
Deadline for applications: Friday, March 1, 2013 at 5:00pm
General Description of the Position:
The Exhibitions Manager is responsible for all details around the shipping, installing and de-installing of exhibits, as well as logistics management for other projects in the gallery, Media Lab (gruntKitchen) and offsite. The Exhibitions Manager reports directly to the Programming Director and is responsible for basic installation tasks such as storing, packaging, crating, shipping, hanging and lighting of exhibits, as well as exhibition maintenance. The Exhibitions Manager will also oversee logistics for any touring exhibitions. The Exhibitions Manager is also responsible for management of the exhibitions budget, contracting, negotiating with the artists over project details, and maintaining the quality and installation standards of the exhibition. This ten (10) hour a week job requires flexibility around the schedule and self-management.
– Budget Management
– Computer Skills
– Installation Skills
– Communication Skills
– Coordinating installations and supporting the artist with his/her vision;
– Arranging details with the artist including contracts, travel and shipping;
– Maintaining the gallery and the Media Lab;
– Participation on various committees and project groups as required;
– Working with the Program Director to obtain a good understanding of program requirements and ensuring the support of the artist;
– Managing program budgets;
– Liaising with and hiring skilled contractors to provide assistance with the installation/de-installation process;
– Other duties as required.
Required Skills and Education:
– Excellent understanding of artist-run centres
– Past experience with exhibit installation;
– Post-secondary education in an arts related program is an asset;
– Previous experience (work or volunteer) with arts organizations;
– Working knowledge of MS Office, Word, Excel, databases, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, video editing, projection, and other technical skills;
– Strong/expert communication (written and spoken) and time management skills
– Resourceful, hands-on and pro-active;
– Must be highly organized, detail oriented, committed to quality and able to work independently with minimal supervision;
– Ability to work flexible hours.
Formed in 1984, grunt gallery has built a reputation on innovation and cutting edge program exhibitions, performances, artist talks, publications and special projects that showcase current and past work by contemporary Canadian and International artists. We focus on work that would otherwise not be seen in Vancouver, and are proud of our ability to act as an intersection between various cultural groups based on aesthetics, medium or identity. We consider our programming as a work in program that is always changing and is always interesting.
How to apply: All applications must be received by Friday, March 1, 2013 at 5:00pm
If you believe that you are a good fit for us, and we’re a good fit for you, please mail or email your resume and cover letter in confidence to:
116 – 350 East 2nd Avenue
email: firstname.lastname@example.orgWe are sorry, but we can only respond to those applicants that we have chosen to interview.
grunt is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants.